Can you do a title search for me?
The Circuit Court Clerk's office is a filing office and its personnel cannot give legal advice. We can show you how to find a specific deed or other record, but cannot advise you regarding everything needed for a complete title examination.

Do you have the forms I need to file a divorce?
The Circuit Court Clerk's office does not have fill-in forms for filing complaints for divorce and again, its personnel cannot give legal advice.  The statistical form required by the Virginia Department of Health Bureau of Vital Statistics after the completion of a divorce action can be obtained from the Clerk's office. An informational sheet concerning pro se (self representation) divorce actions is available. 

Can I see a court file even if I am not a party?
Almost all Circuit Court records are public records and can be viewed by anyone. The Circuit Court Clerk's Office does house sealed and confidential records that, by law or order of the Court, are not allowed to be viewed by the public.  You must ask a staff member to get the record for you and must review the record in the presence of Circuit Court Clerk's personnel.

Is this where I go for traffic court?
Usually, no. Most traffic matters are in General District Court (unless the General District Court decision has been appealed to Circuit Court) If you just want to pay a fine, you need to go to the General District Court Clerk's office (also located in the Washington County Courthouse).

What do I need to get a marriage license?
If both parties are over the age of 18, you will both need to be present and produce a valid, original photo identification. Both parties must sign the application. If one or both of the parties is under 18, please contact the Clerk's office for requirements. A marriage license obtained in Washington County can be used anywhere in the Commonwealth of Virginia and is valid for 60 days from the date of issue.

Can I get a copy of my birth certificate?
Birth records must be obtained from the Bureau of Vital Records in Richmond.  Applications are available at www.vdh.state.va.us

How large of a survey or subdivision plat may be recorded?
Survey or subdivision plats to be recorded may be no larger than 18 inches by 24 inches in size. See also standards for plats on the Land Recordation page of this website.